Good evening! Here is our kick-off text... I Timothy 6:6-8 NKJV
Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.
The definition of contentment from a biblical perspective is: “An internal satisfaction which does not demand changes in external circumstances”—Holman Bible Dictionary.
So far in my journey to less, I have learned it is easier to be content with less than it is to be content with more. As it is with most Biblical wisdom, this seems upside down. The world says... If you have this or that then you will be satisfied. God says, Have a genuine relationship with me and just enough material possessions and you will be blessed with great gain!
Our greatest gain is that relationship with Jesus and our eternal hope. That is the one thing we can add to our lives that we can take out of this world with us. The more of this world we own, the more tempted we are to make more our goal... I Timothy 6:9 NKJV
But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition.
I am so excited to have less! Having less leads to desiring less! Desiring less leads to contentment! It gives us more room for important things... Like friendship & fellowship. Thank you for sharing this journey with me!
No comments:
Post a Comment